Sunday, December 14, 2008

How One Things Leads To Another...

I meant to write about Gus van Sant's Milk, and also the fabulous Christmas parties I enjoyed over the last couple of days, but my weekend report has to wait since I got seriously sidetracked by curiosity to sites I'd like to share with you. First, I came across a recommendation for the blogs on artsJournal. Before I could check out the fine art blogs I stumbled over Performance Monkey featuring a review of the Royal Shakespeare Company's latest production of Hamlet with David Tennant, well, actually, NOT in the title role anymore. Awww! It's - like - the cute new Dr. Who gets - like - rave reviews as Hamlet, but - like - all the sudden he's not Hamlet anymore and everybody's bummed. What? I'll explain later. Well, looking at a RADA profile of understudy Edward Bennett I read, "Nationality: British, Natural Accent: RP" RP? Randwick Plymstock? What the hey & where on earth? The next search is on. Turns out that RP stands for Received Pronunciation. Well, slap me with whatevayougot, I did not know that! Although I wish my pronuncation were Received I waste only a little time trying it on, and while I still wonder somewhere in the back of my mind why RSC actors pop up in SciFi to hop right back to Shakespeare (I forgot to mention that "Patrick Stewart is a masterly Claudius" OMG! Captain Piccard! OMG! Of course the whole freakin' season sold out in no time), I nevertheless speedily proceed to a less profound topic, the phenomenon that is "California English." As illustrated above, it does exist, a fact which the Wikipedia article also tries to prove, complete with distinction between the SoCal and NorCal variety. Awesome, dude! Good for a chuckle, but if you really want to have fun follow me all the way to The Dialectizer. I had the engine translate this site into Redneck, Cockney, Swedish Chef, and Moron, and was extremely pleased with the results. Try it! That should keep you busy until I find the time to write my epistles on Harvey Milk and Hexenpunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment