Sunday, May 16, 2010

another favorite pastime: Santa Cruz Derby Girls


I reported on the season opener back in March, but discovered only last week that we have a video of it now. Great! Saturday's bout (5/15), in comparison, was a bit more subdued, for several reasons. First I noticed that the music seemed at a lower volume than usual, which was somewhat strange considering the kind of music you enjoy at the bouts. The only explanation I could think of was that we were having ourselves a family-friendly event since the Derby Groms were scheduled to compete during the half-time break. After the Groms' performance a good part of the audience, proud parents I suppose, promptly disappeared, which made for a (relatively) quiet second half. Birgit and I thought that we could also detect a certain fatigue spreading. It felt like a double header with one team, the Groms, being very cute, but not exactly very exciting, which took some momentum out of the proceedings. Would it be better to schedule separate events for the kids? I, for one, will avoid the bouts from now on that include the Groms. Which is not to say that we didn't have fun. It's always a blast! I'm ready to order my tickets for the next Santa Cruz bout June 26th, if my perpetual nemesis, friggin santacruztickets.com, will let me. I always have problems with this site. (One specialty would be to send me a temporary password, only to lock me out as soon as I use it. Thanks!)

1 comment:

  1. A!

    Super video of the earlier bout!

    And hey, I LOVED the Groms! And the second half of the grown-up game was even better (faster) than the first half.

    And no problem with the result of the May game!

    WE WON!!

    ReplyDelete