Monday, September 27, 2010

Heat Wave? Côtes du Rhône!

We had an unbelievable 105.6 °F downtown Santa Cruz today. A hot day calls for a nice, light, chilled white, so I had to open this recent find. Have I ever mentioned that I love Shopper's Corner? Reason number.... oh, who's counting!... would be the wine selection.  In Germany I had tasted a Côtes du Rhône that I quite liked for it's pear flavor, a 2009 Château Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône blanc. I wrote a little paragraph about it, and never thought that I could get it in a local store. I did see it online, but the closest vendor is in LA, and asked $14 s&h for a $18 bottle of wine. Uhhh... I don't think so. The next time I found myself at Shopper's it occurred to me I should check the shelves. Turns out Shopper's carries a couple of Château Saint Cosme! Excellent! Except, Shopper's only had the red, not the white Saint Cosme Côtes du Rhône. I came so close! Almost! They did have this 2007 Ogier though. More peach than pear, but I do detect a hint of Williams-Christ-Birne in it, the pear schnapps Germans lovingly call "Willi." Delicious. After I keep discovering really nice imports that are shockingly affordable I am more determined than ever not buy regional wines at prices that seem to be based on factors other than their quality. I'd love to buy local, but if they don't compare, they don't compare. Basta!

No comments:

Post a Comment