Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fifth Annual Monterey Bay Irish Film Festival


How did I miss the first four? Well, Movie Maven Amy didn't alert me, I suppose. Last week she asked if anybody would be interested in attending the Irish Film Festival at Cabrillo this Sunday. When I naively raised my hand she immediately declared a SCIFAM event, and being unavailable herself, appointed me hostess. It doesn't involve any more than setting a time & location for the gang to meet, but it's a commitment. No changing my mind now... Which is fine, since the movies look really promising. World Music Fans are looking forward to DAMBÉ: "A documentary following Irish musicians Paddy Keenan and Liam O’Maonlaí to Mali, West Africa, where they travel thousands of miles and collaborate with musicians ranging from Grammy award winners [Ali Farka Touré] to nomadic herders..."
The second feature film will be KINGS with Colm Meaney in the leading role. "Hey look, it's the guy from Next Generation, whatshisname!" I still haven't figured out the connection between the Royal Shakespeare Company and SciFi that I was pondering before, now Colm Meany is thrown in the mix. Not a RSC thespian, but long-time member of the Irish National Theatre, which isn't too shabby either. Mysterious... Well, let's watch some serious acting, then. In Gaelic. "Slán go fóill!"

No comments:

Post a Comment