Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kumiko Uyeda & Beethoven's Piano Concerto #4

I'm enjoying the UCSC Music Department's concert season. Tickets are so affordable that I've become a regular at the Recital Hall.
The last concert of the UCSC Orchestra offered reliable crowd pleasers with Liszt's Preludes, and Mozart's overture to "The Marriage of Figaro." The entire opera is scheduled for the end of spring. I'm not a big Beethoven fan, but I loved the Forth Piano Concerto. Kumiko Uyedo was amazing. She writes in the program notes that the Forth was not appreciated until revived by Mendelssohn almost 30 years after its premier. I think I understand why. The piano sounds very modern, almost improvised in its hesitations. I googled Kumiko Uyeda. She apparently has an album recorded, "Piano Music Of Erik Satie", of which a Monterey County Weekly review says, "I felt I was sitting next to the piano, along with a quiet sort of anxious excitement - an awareness that art has just enlightened my life - that I only get when wrapped up in a really good piece of art..." I'd like to experience that myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment