Tuesday, April 28, 2009

THE PRINTS OF ANDY WARHOL

It looks like my mind was already unconsciously gravitating towards the San Jose Museum of Art when I picked a photo for the previous blog entry on the Dancin' Downtown event. On Sunday I actually physically ended up in the museum. It started out as a short visit to the facilities, but I strayed, leaving my friends to watch the dance pageantry by themselves. I was sucked in by a selection of prints on loan from The Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh. I thought I might just take a quick look around, not expecting too much. I had been disappointed by the Diane Arbus retrospective at SFMOMA years back, as well as the Annie Leibovitz show last summer. There was no added dimension; the original prints didn't offer any insight beyond what the familiar reproductions had to offer. I expected the Warhol prints to fall in the same category--- you've seen a decent coffee table book, you've essentially seen the artwork. To my surprise I found that there's more depth to the Warhols, in particular the celebrity prints. I liked how a series of Ingrid Bergman images from the Eighties dissolved on close inspection into pure color and penciled lines next to modulated areas delivering the illusion of 3 dimensionality. I discovered that Liz and Marilyn look more like sinister clowns than glamorous divas in a way I hadn't noticed before. Andy looks fragile in late self portraits, Beuys terrified. Death masks of cultural icons. Brilliantly, gaudily colored mortality pressed through silk screens. 
Through Sunday, May 31, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment