Friday, January 9, 2009

Greenmuseum, Environmental Art & Some Amazing Local Artists

Paul's mom sent me a calendar for Christmas, Environmental Art, which has some very intriguing local connections. It is published annually by greenmuseum.org, a new, exciting "online museum of environmental art," which has its physical headquarters in Corte Madera, just north of San Francisco. I'm interested in Environmental Art ever since I saw "Rivers & Tides" about Andy Goldsworthy's work. Greenmuseum is a great resource. The site introduces you to a comprehensive selection of artists and their work, and includes a neat Blog. Also a pleasant surprise was that the first featured artist in the calendar was Jim Denevan, a long time Santa Cruz resident. He's a surfer (of course), as well as an accomplished chef and the founder of Outstanding in the Field, which organizes al fresco dinners in the most beautiful outdoor settings. I've watched this Slow Food venture develop from a great idea & local experiment to a nationally and even internationally recognized phenomenon. I have to confess that the prizes have always been a little too steep for my budget, but I can see how the prize tag is justified not just by the quality of the food, but also by how much work goes into every event. Coincidentally, when I turned the TV on yesterday, PBS had a show on about the man and his artwork! On top of all that I find out that Patrick Trefz, a German photographer, whom I got to know back in the 90's when I was working at the Walnut Bay Photo, has made a movie starring Denevan! Check out the trailer for "Thread" showing some amazing wave action! Some Trefz film shorts show the process of scratching the drawings into the sand, for still images of the resulting art work I recommend Denevan's photo page. It's great how much is going on in a relatively small town like Santa Cruz.

No comments:

Post a Comment